Council tax appeals

If you have applied for an exemption, discount or reduction in council tax and you are not satisfied with the outcome, you have the right to appeal.  Appeals must be made in writing to the Council Tax Manager.

If you are not satisfied with the Council's decision, or the Council has failed to notify you of its decision within two months, you have the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.  You must appeal within two months of receiving a decision from the Council.

Whilst you are awaiting the outcome of an appeal you must continue to pay your council tax as billed.

How to appeal against your property band

The Valuation Tribunal Service is independent of both the Valuation Office Agency and the local Council.  Hearings are held locally if possible and will usually last no more than a day.  

Normally the decision of the Valuation Tribunal will be final but if any party does not agree with the decision they may appeal to the High Court.

If the Tribunal decides in favour of the person appealing, the local Council will issue a new council tax bill and arrange to refund any overpayment. 

Forms are available from the Valuation Tribunal Service.