Changes in circumstances

Have you had a change in your circumstances that may affect your council tax?  You must inform the Council as this might affect how much you pay.

Such changes that could affect the amount payable are:

  • Reduction in the number of occupants to only one person
  • Increase in number of occupants from only one person to two or more
  • Property becomes empty
  • Change of address
  • Responsible person is deceased

Council tax bills are issued on the assumption that two adults are resident in the property.

If there is only one adult in the property, or if some adults can be disregarded, a discount of 25% or 50% can be awarded depending on the circumstances. It is your responsibility to tell us about any changes as soon as they occur.

If you think you may qualify for a discount or exemption, please go to the Discount and Exemptions page.

If you are claiming council tax support and you have had a change in circumstances, please go to the Benefits pages for further information or contact the benefit section on 01992 785503.

You can report a change in circumstances by:

Thank you for keeping us up to date.