Appeals against Housing Benefit decisions

When we have dealt with your claim for Housing Benefit we will send you a benefit decision letter, which will show the information we have used to work out your benefit. You should check this letter carefully.

If you think the information used to work out your Housing Benefit is wrong, you may dispute it in any of the following ways:

  • Ask for a full explanation - called a 'statement of reasons'
  • Ask us to look at our decision again - you can still appeal later
  • Appeal to an independent tribunal, who can change the decision if they agree it is wrong.  We recommend you do this only after the decision has been reviewed

Explaining the decision

If you think the decision regarding your housing benefit is wrong, you must write to us within one month with your reasons. That month starts at the date of issue of the decision letter. If you ask for a written statement, the calendar month will be extended by the time taken to reply to you.

Looking at our decision again

If you ask us to look at the decision again please tell us in writing why you think the decision is wrong or you can use our appeals form to do this. We will check your claim thoroughly and take account of any further information you have given us. We will consider whether we are able to change our decision and write to let you know the outcome, if not you have the right to appeal further.

Appealing against the decision

If you disagree with any new decision you will have a further month to write to us or complete an appeals form with your reasons or appeal to an independent tribunal.

If you have already appealed and we have not changed our decision to your advantage, we will the forward your appeal to Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunal services. You will be advised of this in writing.

You should identify the decision date against which you wish to appeal and explain in full why you think our decision is wrong. It is not acceptable to say ‘I do not agree with the decision’ or ‘the amount of benefit I have been awarded is not enough’. You need to say why you think the decision is wrong and give relevant facts. It will be helpful if you can provide evidence to support your request or appeal.

If you are appealing against more than one decision, you should identify the date of each decision and give the reasons why you do not agree with each one.

Any changes in your circumstances must be reported to us straight away so your case can be amended.

How to appeal

Appeals against Council Tax Support decisions

If you think the decision regarding your Council Tax Support  is wrong, you must write to us, or complete our appeals form with your reasons. We will respond to your dispute within two months of receiving it. When you have completed the form, please return it by post to the Benefit Service or hand the form into our Benefits Reception at the Borough Offices, Level 3, Bishops' College, Churchgate, Cheshunt, Herts, EN8 9XG or any of our One Stop Shops. Please make sure you include any extra evidence that you would like us to consider when we look at your claim again.

If you do not receive a response from us after two months or still disagree with our decision once we have responded to you , you can make an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. You must appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months of our final decision and, if we have not responded to you, no later than four months after you initially contacted us with your dispute.

Further information about council tax support appeals can be found at the The Valuation Tribunal website.