Gambling premises

The Council is responsible for issuing premises licences for:

  • Bingo Halls;
  • Betting Shops;
  • Adult gaming centres;
  • Family entertainment centres;
  • Casinos;
  • Tracks.

The Council also issues the permits and maintains the following types of registrations:

  • Club Gaming Permits;
  • Club Machine Permits;
  • Licensed (Alcohol) Premises Gaming Machine Permits;
  • Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permits;
  • Prize Gaming Permits;
  • Small Society Lotteries Registrations.

The Gambling Commission is responsible for regulating commercial gambling which includes the online gaming/gambling industry.

There are various ‘responsible authorities’ under the Gambling Act 2005 which must be notified and consulted with for certain types of licence application. In addition the Council is required to publish a statement of licensing policy and review it at least every three years.  The policy details the principles the Council will apply when exercising its licensing functions.  The current licensing policy covers the period 2016-2019 and can be viewed here.

Further information on gambling premises can be found on the Gambling Commission and Department for Culture, Media and Sport websites.  

Further information on gambling matters can be found at the links below.

Gambling Policy Statement

Under the Gambling Act 2005, the Council regulates the provision of premises for gambling (for example, betting shops, bingo halls, amusement arcades), the provision of gaming machines in clubs and alcohol licensed premises and small society lotteries.

A requirement of the Gambling Act 2005 is that each licensing authority adopts a Statement of Licensing Policy which must be reviewed every three years. This statement sets out the approach the Council will take when determining applications for new licences, variations and reviews. The current statement covering the period 2019 to 2022 can be viewed in the 'Documents' section of this web page.

The Council has also prepared a Local Area Profile to assist existing operators and new applicants for licences with their own local risk assessments.  The Profile can be viewed in the 'Documents' section of this web page.