Reducing your rates bill

There are various ways to reduce your bill. Please see the list below for information on specific reliefs available. For more general information, please visit the 'Information' page.

Mandatory and discretionary relief

Mandatory and discretionary relief are reductions to business rates for a property occupied by a registered charity or by a non-profit making organisation.   

Other types of relief:

Transitional arrangements

Transitional arrangements phase in the effect of significant changes by limiting the amount by which a bill may rise following a revaluation. This form of rate relief is known as Transitional Relief and will show on your bill if applicable.

To help pay for this rate relief, there is also a limit placed on reductions in bills following a revaluation. This is known as Transitional Premium and will show on your bill if applicable.

Under the scheme limits continue to apply to yearly increases and decreases until the full amount is due (rateable value times the multiplier). Following the 2017 revaluation, this is changed so that the transitional scheme only runs for five years, after which time everyone pays the full amount (rateable value times the multiplier).

Note:  These are year on year caps on increases/decreases. For instance, the maximum increase for small properties over 5 years would be 64%. But a small property with an increase of 7% would reach their full bill in year 2.

Large Property – Rateable Value above £100,000

Medium Property – Rateable Value above £20,000

Small Property – All Others

The scheme applies only to the bill based on a property at the time of a revaluation. If there are any changes to the property after the revaluation date, transitional arrangements will not normally apply to the part of a bill that relates to any increase in rateable value due to those changes.

Employing a business rates advisor?

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill. Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.